Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rebuttle to Health at Every Size: Life expectancy is not the only measure of health


In the December 2012 issue of Discover, Dr. Linda Bacon provides a commentary which supports the HAES approach to healthy active living. Dr. Bacon cites data from the CDC (published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2005 and an independent report in 2011 - not referenced) which shows that people classified as overweight live longer than normal weight people, and that despite the increases in obesity in the US between 1970 and 2007,  life expectancy has increased from 70.8 to 77.9 years.

The claims that overweight people live longer than normal weight people, and that life expectancy has increased alongside obesity are important to recognize - indeed, overweight is associated with longevity in many other species in the animal kingdom, and there are metabolically healthy obese individuals.

While all of this true, Dr. Bacon does not mention the effects of overweight and obesity on morbidity or quality of life. A paper published by the American Journal of Preventative Medicine in 2010 suggests that quality-adjusted life years lost due to obesity doubled from 1993 to 2008. Overweight and mildly obese people may be expected to live longer than their normal weight counterparts, but time and time again the research literature has shown that obesity is associated with a number of chronic diseases. Chronic diseases have a tendency to reduce an individual's quality of life. 

A meta-analysis published last week in the Journal of the American Medical Association provides a similar conclusion- while grades 2 and 3 obesity (BMI= 35-40, and 40+) are associated with an increase in all-cause mortality (basically, death from everything), grade 1 obesity (BMI=30-35) was no different than normal weight, and overweight (BMI= 25-30) was associated with lower all-cause mortality. The authors note in their discussion a major limitation of this meta-analysis - not evaluating weight status according to a measure of morbidity.

As we continue to conduct research in this area it is important to remember that life expectancy is not the only measure of health. There is much more to both health, and obesity, than meets the eye.

Please comment!

9 comments:

  1. Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to understand so much approximately this, such as
    you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you could do with a few % to pressure the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.
    My blog post ; prescription glasses women

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your blog?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got
    to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
    connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for
    only having one or two pictures. Maybe you could
    space it out better?
    My blog post ... prescription glasses transition progressive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to know a lot about this,
    such as you wrote the book in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a
    few percent to power the message house a little bit, however instead of
    that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.
    My webpage > visita

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right.

    This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!
    Here is my web blog : How to get rid of static electricity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is very open with a precise explanation
    of the issues. It was truly informative. Your website is very useful.
    Thanks for sharing!
    my website > drop curtain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to
    get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

    my homepage; baby girl nursery bedding
    My webpage - baby girl quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's awesome designed for me to have a web site, which is valuable for my know-how. thanks admin

    Stop by my page: baby girl pictures
    Look at my web site : baby girl nursery ideas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the admin of this website is actually working hard in support of his web site, because here every material is quality based stuff.


    My web page ... baby girl nursery decor
    Have a look at my web-site ; baby girl pictures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new
    project in a community in the same niche. Your blog
    provided us useful information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!


    Also visit my website ... paleoernährung
    Also see my web page :: low carb cereals

    ReplyDelete